Wednesday, February 18, 2009

haikus don't always make sense

today as i walked into my English class i saw my teacher was dressed up in a ridiculous costume. on the board was written "haiku." everyone had a puzzled look on their face and some kids even said, "wahaaah?" i was the only one who knew what a haiku was. it was a kind of poem that only contains three sentences and seventeen syllables.

after seeing everyone's reactions, the teacher said, "everyone quit now!"

i could tell by her voice we were about to have a pop quiz. and just i was thinking that "TAKE OUT A PIECE OF PAPER!" i started laughing because it was pretty ironic. she stared at me and i was biting every part in my mouth that was bite-able to hold back from laughing. i bit my tongue so hard it started to bleed.

my teacher called out, "you have one minute for this test, you start after i give the instructions...write a haiku. You may begin."

as soon as she said that i whipped out a pencil from my pocket and stared writing to fast my pencil point broke. luckily for me it was a mechanical pencil. i clicked the eraser and continued writing. not shortly after, i realized everyone was staring at me. i started to think "was this a joke? i mean, i have a great teacher but she's usually very serious about jokes." then i tried to ignore that thought and within seconds, i blurted out "done!" everyone was saying, "what how are you done?!" then i realized she was serious for everyone's reaction.

after the minuted passed she started collecting everyone's paper and started grading them. everyone's paper was blank except for mine and a few other kids. Their papers said WHAT, THIS IS NOT FAIR or I'M GOING TO TELL MY PARENTS ABOUT THIS and just stuff that they were complaining about.

it didn't take a long time for my teacher to grade the tests. but while she was grading them i heard her start laughing one kid stared crying because he thought she was laughing at him. i knew she was laughing at what i wrote.

after she was done grading them, she passed them out and said, "everyone FAILED. Except for one: Michael."

I've always wanted to hear someone say that but when she said it, it sounded like i was in a movie or a book; it just didn't seem real.

then she said "Michael will you please explain to everyone what a haiku is?"

i was still in shock from what she said earlier so i couldn't speak. I'm usually very good at speaking in public but i was speechless.

then all of a sudden i heard the bell for social studies. i realized that either i took a half an hour trying to talk or she gave us a little more than one minute to write the haiku.

my haiku was:
hai-kus are ea-sy
some-times they dont make much sense
re-fri-gi-ra-tor

3 comments:

  1. That's great! Thanks for sharing! I want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great! Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to hearing more stories.

    ReplyDelete